Dummy Link

Interview with Dustin Cavazos

123


           Dustin Cavazos is a local hip-hop artist here in Dallas. He has been vigorously getting his name known throughout the DFW area. He is one of many artists helping change the way Dallas hip-hop is perceived. I recently had the chance to ask Dustin some questions.

Where are you from?

I live in Oak Cliff Texas. I was born in San Antonio and lived in Abilene when I was little. Moved to the DFW area when I was 12.

Tell me about your most recent project.

"Stay Gold" is the most recent project I put out. Its a small EP I threw together this summer over some soulful sampled beats I made. I got some of my friends to feature on it and I collaborated with a t-shirt company called "Stay Gold" based out of Dallas to put out a shirt. We did a mini release show where we had about six hundred people show up for a free cookout.

How do you separate yourself from other artists?

I don't really try to separate myself from other artist. I just really sit at a piano and write whatever comes out. I sit with my journal and just write what I feel and I think a lot of artist do that. It's just that every artist is different. If two people sound the same, one of them is not an artist.

So, what are your thoughts on the current state of underground hip-hop in Dallas?

I don't really pay attention enough to really know what's going on with the hip hop scene here. I only know A.Dd+, Rulz, Tunk and JC Money.

Who influenced your style?
Dustin Cavazos

I think bands like Saves The Day, Glassjaw and Bright Eyes really influenced my style. I never really listened to music until I got to high school, and I never attempted writing music til I graduated high school. So all I knew about making music was the pure emotion I heard from bands like that.

What are you listening to these days?

I listen to a lot of sports talk radio. If its not that then it's a lot of Otis Redding, Pandora or a little Z-Ro here and there. I'm actually looking forward to my favorite band "Saves the Day" to put out their new album here in September. So stoked about that.

What is one of your favorite tracks you have made so far?

Right now I think my favorite track so far is "Leaves in The Wind".

How do you spend your free time?

I spend a lot of free time on the internet talking to people. If not that then I do a lot of writing, biking, playing smash brothers or eating with friends.

So far what is your biggest career achievement?

So far my biggest achievement is doing ANY show. Any time I can put on a show and people come out and have a good time I consider that an achievement.

Who do you want to work with in the future?

If I could work with anyone it would be Alejandro Sanz or Julieta Venegas

Do you plan to go on tour any time soon?

Man I have some things deep in the works. I don't know how long it's gonna take to surface but I'm just building and waiting at this point until I get the go ahead. So yes I'm planning on it. Lord willing it comes to fruition


Be sure to download Dustin's new EP entitled "Stay Gold"







Redd-Head's Official Facebook Page Redd-Head's Official Twitter Page Redd-head's Official Tumblr Blog